Sunday, April 29, 2012

Why our Sunday was anything but relaxing...

Phew. Ok..... well. Huh. This is not me stalling, this is me not knowing how to begin this blog post. I am flooded with emotions, from relief to joy to tamped down terror (well, what's left of it)....

Yesterday was a pretty busy, happy day for me. I went to a nice sale with my mom and got baby Lierre some lovely things for her room and burp cloths, had lunch with her, and got some important cleaning down. However, all day in the back of my mind I noticed how I hadn't felt Lierre moving much. For the past week she has been making herself known, punching and jabbing and waking/keeping me up. Yesterday I only felt a few little flutters in the morning (when she is always the most active), and a few in the evening. I was relieved that I had felt her move, but concerned that it wasn't as much as normal.

This morning I woke up and concentrated all my might on her and told myself I would feel her and then go on about my day. Five minutes past, ten minutes..... I decided to roll over since this normally jolts her a little bit. Another five minutes. Nothing. I got up and went to the bathroom and purposely jumped kinda hard into bed again and lay there, hands on my stomach, breathing slowly, concentrating.... nothing. I drank a half a bottle of water, sat up and moved around. I felt one or two teeny tiny flutters. The flutters were reassuring, but it was definitely not her good morning pokes that I have been feeling. I kept waiting to feel some more. Nothing. Then I decided maybe I needed something cold or with sugar. I filled and drank two glasses of orange juice with ice. Ate breakfast. Not a nudge. Maybe I wasn't being active enough?? I decided to walk my dog and then lay down again. One little flicker of movement and then nothing.

At this point I didn't know what to think. Sure, I had felt her move which was a great sign. But where were her big movements? Where was the pattern that I have grown used to? Where were her morning pokes that wake me up and keep me up every day?

Long story short, after much hemming and hawing Tim convinced me to call the on-call nurse at my office (I hate phone conversations, I hate feeling like I am "overreacting"). After describing the decrease in movement I heard the nurse say "I think it is best if you go ahead and go to Women's Hospital and go to triage and they will check you there." I hung up the call as best as I could and tried to tell Tim as calmly as I could. We kept reassuring each other that we had felt her, so that was good, but let's go ahead and head that way. More than once Tim and I ran into each other getting changed and getting our things together. At one point I watched him and asked "Do you feel like me where you have no idea what you are doing or why you even came in a certain room?" His answer was yes. I got teary eyed but sternly told myself to get it together and to not panic. While brushing my teeth my prayers went something like this "Oh God, oh God..... please God..... ok, ok, your will God..... but please God.... need peace..... be with us.... *insert static sound while I can't think of anything else to say.*" The drive there was fine.... Tim was driving extra carefully (for him) and I was snapping at him to go faster (unusual for me).

We got checked in and almost immediately got taken back into a room. Glad that they were taking us seriously, nervous that everything was going so fast. They used the doppler to listen for a heartbeat. And sweet relief, oh lovely joy there it was.... as strong as can be. But then they wanted me hooked up to a monitor for about a half hour just to be perfectly sure. I had to click a button every time I felt her move. I told my mom (who showed up to support us) that I felt like clicking was like having to take a test I didn't study for. Tim and my mom tried to talk to me and ask questions and keep up a running conversation since we had felt her move (she HATED the monitor and immediately started kicking) and heard her heart. But I was completely zoned out. It was that or break down sobbing in the room for first being so worried to then being so happy. When we got the ok to leave and walked outside it was like I was taking my first breath all day.

I then proceeded to binge eat my feelings the rest of the evening haha.

Long story short--- Tim and I are both so happy and thankful that everything is ok. I am glad that we went for peace of mind. God is good.

My hospital bracelet

To make ourselves feel better, we got my dog a bone that is way too big for him.

He was excited.


This has nothing to do with anything, I just made them earlier in the week and they were awesome.


No comments:

Post a Comment