Thursday, September 6, 2012

3 Weeks Old

Lierre, you are three weeks old today. Seriously?? How is that even possible? Everyone said it would go by in a blur and they were not wrong. Not even in the fun, whimsical way older people often mean (although that is happening, too).... I think that it is truly because every day is chopped up into segments of hours instead of night and day.

We went to the doctor today, by ourselves which I view as a huge accomplishment considering a little less than three weeks ago I couldn't even get out of bed by myself. The reason? A suspected case of Thrush. I noticed as you were screaming the other day, in a quest for more food, a few little white spots on the insides of your cheeks. Thanks to some of my hours of reading baby blogs and baby message boards while pregnant, I had stumbled upon a post about Thrush in passing. Thankfully I remembered what I read and packed her up and we headed to the doctor.

The verdict? Yep, you have Thrush. Rats. This would explain your reluctance to latch when we eat the past few days. Your face gets a very determined angry look and then you hesitantly latch on before thrashing your head back and forth with a frustrated grunt or cry and rip yourself away. Eventually you get with the program and get to chowing down, but it is not without effort. Poor baby. We have to put some nasty medicine in your mouth 3-4 times a day for the next 10-14 days. Bahhhhh. To me, with a teeny little baby who eats every 2-3 hours.... 10 days seems like a stinking eternity.

I know its not a big thing.... but it is so relieving to me to have noticed something wrong with you before it got "bad," made a decision, and got you to a doctor. It's just one of those things that I worried about before you came, and since you have been here....that maybe something would happen health wise and I wouldn't notice, or wouldn't know what to do. It is nice to know that you are ok. And partially because of something that I did. Phewwww. Maybe I can do this mommy thing after all?

However, the doctor was thrilled with your weight gain. You are a whopping 8 pounds 15.5 ounces. The doctor said that they like to see about a pound of weight gain by one month appointments and you are just shy of that with 10 days to spare. This is even after your weight dropped down to 7 pounds 10 ounces at the hospital. Way to go little piglet! The doctor actually said "Whatever you all are doing to feed her, keep it up because it is working." Let me pat myself on the back for a minute.

Your favorite things at the moment: 
-Being held, tucked tight to my chest, or daddy's. Seriously, you freak out if you are put down while you are awake. You cannot handle even five two minutes by yourself. We have tried some tough love, but you scream and scream until you are holding your breath, your face turns purple, and the little red mark on your forehead is fire engine red. Tough things for mommy to watch.
-Music. When you are crying, if anyone starts to hum or sing to you, you almost immediately stop and get very still. The same is true in the car... if you start to cry in your carseat while we are on an adventure, if I turn the music up a little louder, you typically stop crying (at least as loud) and sometimes fall asleep.
-Baby K'tan Wrap time.... this ensures that you stay close to mommy.
-Staying awake. All of the bragging I did in weeks 1-2 about how you sleep all day in 3 hour chunks at a time is out the window. You just love to stay awake.... you just don't know what to do with yourself when you are awake. Cry? Stretch? Doze for 30 seconds to 10 minutes before jerking yourself awake? Fuss? It's during these long stretches that I am thankful for your grandma who comes over so that I can grab a shower, or eat, or just breath. Tim does this, too when he is home (He went back yesterday and we have been lonesome for him).

Your least favorite things at the moment:
-As mentioned, being put down.
-Whenever we take off your clothes for a bath or an outfit change. Your startled face turns into a mildly annoyed expression before you get royally ticked off and you start to cry. Thankfully this only lasts until you are dressed...it's like you can tell we are almost done and with each inch that I zip or button you up, your cries get quieter and your wiggles start to slow down.
-Hiccups. Poor thing.... you are still dealing with horrible cases of hiccups almost every time you are laid down. Sometimes they wake you up. Most of the time you handle it better than I do.
-Spicy chicken wings. I ate these with Tim one night and your stomach did not thank me the next day. Woops. Sometimes I forget that what I eat, you will eat, too.

Waiting at the doctor. You are daddy's clone.

You found your thumb for a minute. You can't seem to keep it in, though.

You asleep in the wrap as we speak.

No comments:

Post a Comment