Saturday, February 8, 2014

18 month updates/life updates

There have been many times I've thought about writing on here. Like when I'm in the shower. Or half-way to work. Or when my head has touched my pillow and my eyes are slowly shutting as I head towards sleep. Yeah--times like that. Not very helpful. I seriously just uploaded pictures from July (JULY) on to my computer (just in case you have forgotten, it is February 8th).

"The Adults"
Tim: 
Tim is such a stellar dad. Like---I never, ever have to worry when he will be alone with Lierre or if he goes to the grocery store instead of me. He's got this, hands down. He had a terrible bout with the flu over all of my Christmas break (I luckily only had a fever for Christmas eve-a day or two after Christmas), but he still half-heartedly tried to help and apologized profusely for "ruining" my Christmas break. While having a fever and throwing up. Ha!

Tim is going to be facing some changes with work in the nearish future. I'm not going to say any more until things are finalized, but it will mean some changes for our family--ones we hope will be better for our family and will fulfill his need to be able to grow. He's such a good provider for us and is so much braver than I will ever be.

Me:
I'm itinerant this year instead of based at one school. It has been a pretty big change. Majority of my students this year do not use sign language, so I really miss that aspect, but overall I am loving the "flexibility" and room to move a little bit this year. Second year of teaching is SO much better than the first year (not having a brand spankin newborn helps, too). That being said, it is a lot of work to be covering so many skill levels and so many grades at once.

My passion for all things birth/pregnancy/child care has grown exponentially since having Lierre. I spend my free time reading birth stories, looking up statistics, feeling angry with sub-par health care and choices, and just lack of knowledge for most women. The more I read and learn, the more strongly I feel about certain aspects. Something is stirring in me and I am not quite sure what to do with it yet. I know that eventually I'd like to be able to do something (whether volunteer or a job or what I'm not sure) that can help with educating women about their pregnancies or labors or care for after delivery (both momma and baby....and families in general). Maybe I am to do something with this, maybe not.... but for now it is both exciting to have some passion, and unsettling to keep blindly stepping forward, not knowing what I am to do with this fire and knowledge. For now, I will be content to keep learning as much as I can.

The "baby"
Lierre is growing so big. Most of her clothes are heading into 24 months, despite the fact she will not be 18 months for another week. Her words include: dada, ack (Jack), ish (fish), and occasionally ew (shoe), and uh-oh. No "Momma" in there. Heart breaker. We actually had her evaluated recently because she isn't saying much, as well as having some eating issues still (she has some real texture aversions and will only eat crunchy foods + mandarin oranges consistently). Prayers are appreciated as we move forward with therapies--that they will be effective and that they will be so in a short time frame. It's nothing terrible, just mild delays in language--but since it is what I do pretty much all day at work, I'm extra aware of it. It would also be awesome to all eat a meal together.... with the same foods.

Beyond that, she has done amazingly well at her 2 day a week preschool. I don't know what kind of magic dust they sprinkle there, but she trucks through without a nap without too much complaint, whereas at home if that happened she would be a heap of tantrums (yes, we're already at lay-in-the-floor-and-"cry" stage). I LOVE her sweet little art work and the fact she seems excited to walk in each time.

She remains pretty serious with people she does not see very often, but is all laughs and silliness and fun with us and her grandparents these days.

Two weeks ago she had a fever that wouldn't go away and ended up having some bad wheezing and coughing that resulted in an ER trip for a breathing treatment. Aw.Ful. It took 3 of us to hold her down to keep the mask on her. She was sweating and crying and straight up screaming and looking at us like "WHY WON'T YOU HELP ME?!" But it did help. I also got many cuddles out of it since she couldn't breath well laying down. Still, for now we have an inhaler at home. Luckily, she is feeling much better.

She is doing incredible with routines and one day surprised me by finishing a snack pouch, walking over to our trash can, lifting the lid, throwing it away, and then going to sit back down and play. On her own. What?! Since then, we have made that a routine for her, are working on her helping to take off her socks and pants (shirts are tricky) before pajamas or bath and putting her clothes in her hamper. She gets caught up in the clothes sometimes, but is doing much better and always tries to get it in the hamper (about her eye level), even if it doesn't always make it in. She will bring me her shoes and jacket when she knows we are going to leave. She hands me things in the bath that she thinks I need (cup, soap, etc). She is one smart little cookie. She is extremely observant.... you can't pull one over on her.

While there are always challenges with each stage of parenting so far.... I've gotta say it is awesome that she is getting older and more independent. It is so fun to be able to do activities with her and have her really get enjoyment from specific events. This thing seems to get better and better. I love her so much and am starting to see little bits and pieces of who she may be one day.



That's it for now..... I hope to write a little bit more in the coming months. I've missed having some documentation. I need to take time to do more things that I actually enjoy. Cleaning can wait!

1 comment:

  1. Love this sweet update! And your heart for all things birth/baby! :)

    ReplyDelete