Wednesday, June 20, 2012

On Our Toes

This little girl is giving us a run for our money already. Yesterday was very eventful, and not in the way that you always want. Let's start in the beginning.......

Yesterday I had a regularly scheduled doctor's appointment at 10:30. I was thankful that Tim was going to be off so that he could go with me and hear Lierre's heartbeat. My alarm went off to get ready and I moaned and groaned and struggled to roll over and up (just like every morning) and had to sit on the bed for a few moments before getting up. I felt like I was moving through quicksand. My lower back was killing me. All around I just felt really off. However, this is not all that uncommon for early morning and I told myself that once I had eaten and moved around and stretched a little I would feel better. Meh. Well, I felt better enough to go to the appointment and well enough to ignore the aches and pains (you get really good at this when you are pregnant!).

We got in pretty quickly (surprising) and got to hear Lierre's little heart (around 140 beats a minute), talked to the doctor for a second and was told they'd see us in two weeks. Really great, right? Yeah, that's what we thought. On the way out, Tim started mentioning some errands we needed to do so I told him I better go to the restroom before we left (we were in a different lobby at this point, downstairs from the doctor). I won't give too many details, but there was blood. Not gushing or anything, but enough to make my heart stutter, stop, and then stutter to re-start. I rushed out and told Tim "We are going back upstairs." He said "O....kay?" (and to my dismay) the words "I'm bleeding" came stumbling out of my mouth, making a few other ladies in the lobby all turn to look at me. I guess Tim could see the look of terror on my face and he pulled me to the side (snaps right into "work" mode) and tries to ask me a few questions. I'm usually pretty good about keeping it together until after situations like this, but something about the surprise and Tim's understanding and calm made me break down crying right there in the lobby. Tim was as cool as a cucumber and held on to me and said things like "It's ok, we are in the right place.... it couldn't have happened anywhere better." I got myself together and up the elevator we went. The check-in ladies (all very nice) joked "Are y'all back already?!" with smiles on their faces. I walked up to them, gave them a quick explanation, and bless them they went right to the doctor and I got sent back.

The practice I go to can be pretty crazy at times and there are some things I haven't loved.... but I was so, so thankful yesterday that they were so thorough. They checked my cervix (still closed, phew). They took my blood pressure a few times ("beautiful"). They did an ultrasound to measure the fluid around her (everything was fine, but please try to drink more water, it will give her even more room to move). Then they said "just to be safe" they were going to hook me up to the monitor to have her heart rate monitored and see if I was having any contractions. Tim and I drank some juice and chatted and were overall feeling MUCH better. Then the doctor came in about 20-30 minutes later and said "Well, you are having contractions! They are not really strong, but there is a definite pattern to them, so we are going to send you to Women's now. They will monitor you there. If this continues, they will give you medicine to try to make the contractions stop because we don't want your cervix to open. If that happens, they will probably keep you overnight."

*Cue crickets chirping and wide-eyed stares*

It was so surreal. I felt like I was watching a poorly acted television show. I almost wanted to laugh (I think I did a little out of sheer surprise) We didn't really say much when we left, but as the hospital was right across the street, there was not too too much panic yet. I called my mom and asked her to pray and to pass it along to all the siblings and whatnot. As I sat in the waiting room (luckily we didn't have to wait long), I just sat there praying and felt so calm. Honestly, I felt so calm and relaxed after I prayed I just knew that everything was going to be fine. They monitored us for a little over an hour. No more bleeding. No more contractions. No reasons they could find why this would happen and no reason why it would stop. Just a vague "Well.... sometimes these things happen in pregnancy...." We finally got to leave close to 4:00 (neither of us had eaten lunch and we were s.t.a.r.v.i.n.g).

Tim keeping guard at the door

Me feeling suspicious that they hadn't checked me in awhile

Happy to be leaving soon!

I guess we will never know exactly what happened, but we are very thankful that our prayers were answered and she is still baking away inside of me. We were/are also thankful that we have the crib set up and the room painted and enough "stuff" to get us through a few days if she did try to surprise us again.

Oh!! And one more thing we learned from yesterday--- According to babycenter.com Lierre should weigh around 3 lbs 3 oz. Wellllp.... Lierre is weighing roughly around 4 lbs 7 oz already---in the 90th percentile.

Oh holy cow.

No comments:

Post a Comment