Sunday, January 22, 2012

SURPRISE - ITS A BABY.... I think (From Daddy)

Hmmmm..where to start?  How about the morning I found out that I may or may not be a dad.  I was in a deep, deep sleep at about 9:23 AM.  How do I remember the time you ask?   It was seven minutes before I had to get up for work!  Anna has the unbelievable knack for knowing when I am finally getting some sleep, and rips it away from me quicker than the Jets chance of winning the Superbowl.   

I know Anna went through the morning already, but I want to add my thoughts, I'll try to keep it as short as possible.  At 9:23 I hear "Tim, I don't want you to panic but I need you to get up."  My first thought was "I have to buy a ticket to NY right away because my family is going to need me to deal with this death, whoever it may be."  Anna went on to say "I took a pregnancy test."  My reaction was "why did you do that", followed by a blank stare from Anna.  Anna asked me to come to the bathroom and help her look, because she thinks she saw two lines.  I wondered why she just didn't bring it into the room with her.  As all of you know, of course, you can't move or dip a pregnancy test - Stupid me!

I observed one solid, dark, apparent, bold line.  The second line was very, very faint.  I said "no way, I'm going back to bed."  I will not go into detail about the next seven minutes of my sleep.  Anna did a pretty good job already explaining the rest of that morning as I went to work.

It was a busy day at work. I was very worried about Anna.  I know how bad she wanted to be pregnant.  I know how bad she wanted to be a mom.  I know a child would bring years and years of smiles to her face.  I also knew that this "positive" test could be false, and Anna would be extremely disappointed.  The kind of disappointment you feel in your bones every time Anna would tear up.  At first I asked Anna to wait for me to take another test.  I called back quickly and asked her to take another test right away, I just couldn't wait.

My feelings or excitement never came into play.  I just wanted to be with Anna good or bad.  While driving to a call with lights and sirens, Anna called me.  She explained that the digital test was positive.  I did not have time to take in the information because I had just arrived on my call.  I just found out I was going to be a dad, and I had to deal with a guy trying to kill himself.  I put aside what I had just learned, and worked with the guy to drop his weapon, and was able to send him with EMS.  About five other units showed up.  I walked out the door with my sergeant, and I guess I was smiling.  My sergeant, one of my closest friends, knew something was up.  I told him "Man, I just found out I'm going to be a dad."   My sergeant yelled "Get out of here", starting to hug me, and was yelling.  So we were just dealing with a guy trying to kill himself, EMS, family, and five police officers all witnessed us hugging and yelling with smiles.  They probably thought "Man, it's our job to save people, no need to celebrate like that."  My sergeant was the first person I told.

I couldn't wait to leave work and be with my wife.  That was a fun night.






No comments:

Post a Comment