Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Update

Today was a long day...but we got some good news!  At the doctor today we found out:

-There is only about a 1 in 10,000 chance of our baby having Down Syndrome.
-Baby's heart rate was 146, which is perfectly good and acceptable. It seems kind of low which makes me think it will be a boy!
-We learned more about birthing options and it has helped calm me and feel better about making a plan a little ways down the road (however, when discussing these things in front of my dad he almost passed out. And I am not exaggerating. It was kind of scary to see my dad's hands start shaking and him having to change his shirts because he started sweating so much.... I guess I'm still "Daddy's little girl.").
-My iron level count has gone up a few points since last visit.

In not so good, but not so bad news:
-Because I have continued to feel dizzy when standing for long periods of time, to the point of having to put my head between my legs and breath and drink something with sugar, my doctor thinks I have orthostatic hypotension---basically my blood pressure bottoms out when I just stand around. When I am moving, walking my dog, walking the halls at school I am perfectly fine because the blood is still flowing. When I am in the shower/drying my hair, standing at bus duty, or cooking, the blood tends to pool in my legs and makes me me feel a dizzy, short of breath, and altogether like my body is shutting down.

Her suggestion? Support panty hose. My reaction?:

I hate all things panty hose, tights, and leggings. They make my legs itch like crazy and the only reason my mom could force me into them in high school were for dance recitals or important occasions (and I still complained the whole time).

Her other suggestion? Doubling my fluid intake with drinks that have electrolytes such as Gatorade and Propel. ....... Unfortunately all of those drinks make me feel very sick most of the time (not just during pregnancy). I guess I will have to choose between the two....yuck.

Also my back pain has gotten more severe over the last few days and has made walking my dog difficult, along with bending over quickly and acting like a normal 23 year old. She says Sciatica is to blame... basically my growing body (even this early on) is messing with my sciatic nerve and it is sending shooting pains. Luckily for me it ranges in severity, sometimes hardly hurting at all. Just gotta deal until August 18th!

Tim and I are very thankful for the good news from the doctor and can't wait to find out what we will be having in four weeks! Thank you for your sweet thoughts and prayers. We are so glad you guys are on this journey with us.

No comments:

Post a Comment